Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Friends, my friends, my friends.

I swear I literally have that phrase stuck in my head now. Over and over McCain drilled those two words into our heads. Why? Because he's trying to make it seems that he's the average guy and Obama is the elitist. I like Chris Rock's argument for who we should elect, we need the man who only owns one house in office, not 13. McCain is up against the ropes, he knows he can't make direct attacks because with his poll numbers slipping it'd make him look more desperate. So he resorts to bizarre tactics like trying to make us all believe we're his friend. I say bizarre because of how extremely disingenuous it feels to me as an audience member. McCain saying that he's my friend just makes my skin crawl a little bit. You can't spout off terrible ideas for 90 minutes then expect me to want to hang out. I'm honestly curious what the numbers are for good ol' "Who'd you rather have a beer with" poll, because I bet Obama would win it.

This latest debate really, changed nothing. I didn't expect it to but there's always that outside hope that McCain will drop the N word or something insane. I'm frustrated with both candidates in how the talking points haven't changed at all from the last debate. The rhetoric outside the debates has become decidedly more pointed but both men seem afraid to be on the attack when their opponent is in the room.

The biggest issue was obviously the economy, but this is also where we see the sharpest division between the two candidates. Strangely, both want to lower our taxes and still save money, awesome! But Obama's plan actually explicitly states where the extra funds would come from for his domestic policy. McCain's plan seems to be prepared to be reactionary. Freezing all government spending is a bad, reactive idea, and this is his plan!

We all know that debates don't actually effect how people vote. But McCain does seem to be on a steady decline. So what's that mean then? Maybe the American people are sobering up to the fact that McCain's just not as good a candidate. Or maybe that's just me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It creeps me out when he calls me "my friend" too. It also creeps me out when he wanders all over the stage and doesn't sit still. Basically, he kind of creeps me out in general.

Alison :)