Monday, December 1, 2008

Holy Hilary Batman!

So it's official today. Hilary Clinton is going to be the next Secretary of State, and I don't think I'm ok with it. First off, The Obama Biden ticket had been my dream team during the primaries, and the first time I saw Richardson's resume on foreign affairs I knew that he was part of my dream team cabinet. I'm glad he's in there, but I really wanted to see him in charge of the state department.

One of my favorite things about Obama was that he advocated diplomacy above all else, Richardson was full to the gills with international negotiation experience. I mean c'mon, the man negotiated the release of a hostage from Palestine right before he started his campaign. Clinton on the other hand does not really have the credentials in foreign policy. The one thing that she does have though, her one possible redeeming factor, is her name. Bill's connections in the international scene are going to be a huuuge asset to Hilary when it comes time to negotiate. Clinton won't need to get her foot in the door, she'll be led into the smoke filled back rooms immediately. The other thing that I like about having Hilary as the Secretary of State is her disagreement with many of Obama's policies. While this could prove frustrating in the first year I think that having discussion and debate on policy is the healthiest thing for a president to do. And I think that Obama's clout right now will outweigh any serious problems that Hilary has with Obama's policy plans. The democrats are still in the honeymoon phase of the Obama adminstration, he's just too popular right now for her to try and subvert him....I hope....

On a completely seperate note while I was writing this blog I was informed, via text message, that we are actually in a recession. Great!

The markets are plummeting, consumer spending and confidence are down, and our financial system is crumbling around us. I'm still kinda shocked that anyone would want to be president right now. But I have faith. I have faith that this is simply a correction. I have faith in the capatalistic system. And I have faith that Obama will make the right decisions when it comes to who to bail out and what regulations need to be put in place.

No comments: